Saturday, January 28, 2006

Tale #4: Oreo

The next time Dancing Bear was walking on Alexandra Street, she met the same black and white cat. "Nice to see you again," Dancing Bear said. "Do you have a name?"

"My name is Lady Miranda Pulcherrima," the cat said. "That's Latin for incredibly gorgeous. But most people call me Oreo."

"Your Latin name is very impressive," Dancing Bear said. "How did you get it?"

"I gave it to myself," Oreo said.

"Why do people call you Oreo?" Dancing Bear asked. "Is it because you are black and white like the cookie?"

"I think they aren't clever enough to remember my real name," Oreo said. "Often, they don't understand my instructions, even though I repeat them over and over."

"I have a Latin name too," Dancing Bear said. "Ursus arctos*. But I don't like it, because I am ursa -- a lady bear. I prefer ursa saliens**."

"Have you noticed that Latin is going out of style?" Oreo said.

"Yes," said Dancing Bear. "It's a pity. Maybe you and I could speak Latin to each other."

"Quid pro quo***," said Oreo. "Would you like to stay at my house for a while? We have an extra bed."

"Wouldn't your people object?" Dancing Bear asked.

"I have just one man servant," Oreo said. "When he's at home he's always busy on the computer or watching TV or sleeping. He might not even notice you."

"I'm rather big to overlook," Dancing Bear said.

"Well, maybe he's lonely. You speak human, don't you? You could talk to him. And you could open and close doors for me when he's sleeping."

"We could give it a try," Dancing Bear said. "It might be safer to stay in town during the hunting season."

* * *

LATIN GLOSSARY
*ursus arctos -- grizzly bear
**ursa saliens -- jumping (or dancing) lady bear
***quid pro quo -- a trade

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home