Saturday, January 21, 2006

Tale #11 -- Ben's Problem

At three-fifty-five, the front doorbell rang.

"Oh no!" said Oreo. "What now? Don't tell me the young whippersnapper has learned to ring the doorbell."

Dancing Bear looked out the window. "It's Ben!" she said. "I think he wants something."

She opened the door. "Hello, Ben," she said. "How are you?"

"I'm fine, thank you," Ben said, "but I have a problem. Can I come in and talk to you about it?"

"I guess so," Dancing Bear said. "Please take off your runners before you walk on the carpet."

Ben took off his runners, his hat and his jacket, and sat down on the couch. "I heard that you were giving out Hallowe'en treats here," he said.

"I'm staying here until Mr. McDougall comes home from Sault Ste. Marie," Dancing Bear explained. "The cats need somebody to feed them and give them water and open the door for them."

"And brush us!" Oreo said. "Don't forget -- we have to be brushed regularly!"

"You said you had a problem," Dancing Bear said to Ben. "Do you want to tell me about it?"

"It's kind of embarrassing," Ben said. "Do you promise not to laugh?"

"I won't laugh unless it's funny," Dancing Bear said. "And if I do laugh, I'll laugh with you, not at you."

Ben looked down at the floor. "I'm scared," he said. "Especially at night."

"What are you scared of?" Dancing Bear said.

"The Skeleton Man," Ben answered.

"The Skeleton Man?" Dancing Bear said. "What does he look like?"

"I don't know," Ben said. "He's always behind me, but I know he's there. What should I do?"

"I think you should write a poem," Dancing Bear said.

"Write a poem?" Ben said. "Do you really think that would help?"

"Yes," Dancing Bear said. "That's what I do when I'm scared."

"You get scared?" Ben asked. "I thought you were too big to be scared."

"Everybody gets scared sometime," Dancing Bear said.

"I don't," said Oreo. Dancing Bear ignored her.

"I don't know how to write a poem," Ben said.

"It's easy," Dancing Bear said. "It's like a song without music. Instead of singing it, you just say it."

"A song without music!" Ben said. "That sounds like fun! Will you help me?"

"Of course," Dancing Bear said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home