Sunday, January 15, 2006

Tale #17 -- What is Real?

"There's something wrong with that story," Ben said. "It's not the same season all over the world. It's fall here right now, but it's spring in Australia."

"The ancient Greeks didn't know there was such a place as Australia," Dancing Bear said.

"I know why we have seasons," Carol said. "I just learned about that in science class. The earth is a big ball that spins around the sun, and it is tilted on its axis."

"I don't think the ancient Greeks knew that either," Stacy said.

"You're right," Dancing Bear said. "They thought the earth was flat, like a plate. Their stories were based on what they saw."

"But they didn't see gods and goddesses," Charles said. "Those aren't real."

"They are -- and they aren't," Dancing Bear said. "It depends what you want to believe. It's like Santa Claus -- some children believe the stories about him, and others don't."

Ben was thinking hard. Finally, he asked, "Dancing Bear, are you real?"

Dancing Bear patted herself all over. "Let's see. Here's my head -- my legs -- my stomach. I think I'm all here."
"I studied about bears at school," Ben said. "Bears don't talk or wear scarves. They don't go to the Legion for dinner and line dancing. They don't open doors and brush cats and tell stories."

Dancing Bear smiled. "That's the magic of imagination," she said. "I'm as real as you want me to be."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home