Thursday, January 12, 2006

Tale # 20 -- A Story Party

The doorbell rang. "I wonder who that is," Dancing Bear said.

"Probably one of those kids who keep coming here," David McDougall said.

Dancing Bear opened the door. It was Ben.

"Hi, Dancing Bear!" Ben said. "Do you want to go for a walk?"

"I haven't finished my coffee," Dancing Bear said. "But if you can wait a couple of minutes, I'll be right with you."

"I don't mind waiting," Ben said. "May I come in?"

"Of course," Dancing Bear said.

Ben took off his shoes and came into the living room. He threw a worried look at David McDougall.

"It's okay," David McDougall said. "I'm not crabby today."

Ben smiled and sat down. "Thank you."

"Would you like a glass of milk?" Dancing Bear asked.

"No thanks," Ben said. "I had milk and cereal at home."

Soon Ben and Dancing Bear were walking side by side on the fitness trail along the river.

"I have to go home to my cave and hibernate," Dancing Bear said.

"Oh, no!" said Ben. "You'll miss Christmas!"

"I am never awake for Christmas," Dancing Bear said.

"Why don't you stay in town?" Ben suggested. "We can wake you up for Christmas."

"That's very kind of you," Dancing Bear said, "but I need my sleep. That's how bears are."

"Okay," said Ben. "I guess you know best. Can you wait until Tuesday?"

"I suppose I could," Dancing Bear said. "Why?"

"It's my birthday," Ben said. "I'm having my party after school. I want it to be a story party. Instead of bringing presents, I will ask my guests to bring a story."

"A story party!" Dancing Bear said. "What a great idea!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home