Sunday, January 01, 2006

Tale #30 -- Ben's Christmas Story

"Would you like to hear a Christmas story?" Ben asked the cats. He had finished feeding them and brushing them and cleaning out their litter box, but he didn't feel like going home yet.

Ben sat down in the big chair where Dancing Bear used to sit. Oreo jumped on his lap, and Bandit sat on the footstool and stared at him.

"I guess that means yes," Ben said. "I wish I could speak your language."

"Me too," Oreo said. "I will have to figure out a way to teach him."

"Give him time to learn," Bandit said. "Sometimes he seems to understand quite well."

"I don't think he really understands," Oreo said. "It's just a conditioned reaction."

"Don't underestimate humans," Bandit said. "Some of them are quite intelligent."

"Do you want to hear the story, or do you just want to go on talking about me?" Ben asked.

"See?" Bandit said. "He's not as dumb as you think."

Oreo looked up at Ben. "Please tell the story. Tell us the story now. Do you understand? Dic statim nobis fabulam. Noli dubitare!*" She dug her claws in his leg.

"Ouch!" Ben laughed. "Take it easy. Patience is a virtue, you know."


*(Latin) Dic statim nobis fabulam. Noli dubitare! Tell us the story at once. Don't hesitate!


BEN'S CHRISTMAS STORY

A long time ago, a little girl named Cara lived in a cabin in the woods with her father. Her mother had died so long ago that she could hardly remember her. Every morning, her father would go to work cutting wood, and leave her alone all day. She kept busy cooking and cleaning and gathering branches for the fire.

One day, three men came walking past her cabin. They wore long silken robes and pointy hats. She was curious and lonely, so she invited them in and made them some tea. "Where do you come from, and where are you going?" she asked.

"We are from far, far away," the man in the green robe said. "Have you noticed a bright star in the sky lately? We are following it to see where it leads."

"What do you hope to find?" she asked.

"Well," the man in the swirling blue and gold robe said, "usually a bright new star means that an important person has been born, and the world is going to change."

"Really?" Cara said. "I would like that, provided it changes for the better."

The man in the black and silver robe said, "You are very wise for someone so young. A lot of people think all change is good."

"Would you like to come with us?" the man in the green robe asked. "I think you would be a big help."

"My father needs me here," Cara said. "He works hard all day. If I went away, he would come home to a cold and dark house every night."

After she went to bed that night, Cara couldn't sleep. She was thinking about the three men and the adventures they would have. Would her own life always be the same dull routine?

Finally, she cried herself to sleep. She had a beautiful dream about a baby in a manger. The three men were kneeling in front of him and giving him expensive presents. Some angels were singing beautiful songs. One of them looked just like her mother.

In the morning, her father asked her, "Why were you crying last night?"

Cara didn't want to tell him. She loved him very much and didn't want to hurt his feelings by telling him how lonely and boring her days were.

Her father asked her again. "Why were you crying last night? Please tell me. I want to know what's wrong."

"Three men came past the cabin yesterday," Cara said. "They were following the bright new star in the sky, looking for a very important person who will change the world. They asked me to go with them."

Her father gave her a hug. "Thank you for staying with me. Without you, I would have nobody to talk to in the evenings. I think about you all day while I work. You are my most precious treasure."

Cara felt warm inside. "It's all right, Father," she said. "I saw the special baby in my dreams last night. I know I can visit him whenever I want."

Tears came into her father's eyes. "I dreamed of him too," he said. "His name is Love, and he lives here with us."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home