Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Tale #35 -- Ben's Letter

Dear Dancing Bear,

I know that there is no mailbox at your cave, but I miss you a lot. I really want to talk to you, and this is the next best thing. I'm going to give you this letter when you come out of hibernation.

I looked after Bandit and Oreo for eleven days while Mr. McDougall was on a computer course. I think Oreo is trying to teach me how to speak cat language, but I'm not a good student. She looks very disgusted me when I don't understand what she wants. I know the cats really miss you. There is nobody around who can translate for them.

At first, I didn't understand why you were staying at Mr. McDougall's place. I thought he was too crabby for anybody to put up with. But he's okay now that I know him better. Dad works at the same place Mr. McD. does. He says Mr. McD. is a little weird because he's a computer geek, but he does his work well and never misses a deadline.

Mr. McD. gave me a story book. One of the stories is about a white bear, Nanook, who was born to a human mother. He helped a hunter named Uluksak when he was marooned on an ice floe. The bear caught fish for him and kept him warm with his fur. When the wind blew the ice floe back to the shore, Nanook twisted some hairs from his feet into a special lace and gave it to Uluksak to show his tribe. At first Uluksak's family did not believe his story, but after they examined the lace, they decided no human being could have woven it. After a while, everybody in the North believed in Nanook the white bear, cousin to mankind.

Dancing Bear, I hope you never leave Hearst. But if you do, please give me something to remember you by. That way I will always be able to prove that you are real.

Your friend,
Ben

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home