Sunday, December 18, 2005

Tale #44 -- Carol's Excellent Adventure -- Part 2

"When are you going to finish that story?" Carol asked Ben.

"Oh," said Ben, "are you interested in finding out what happens next?"

"Sort of," Carol said. "After all, it's about me. Do I get to be queen of the tournament? After all, I'm just a kitchen maid, and I don't know if a kitchen maid can be the queen of a tournament."

"I was thinking about that," Ben said.

"Think faster," Carol said.


A Question of Tradition

When King Arthur said that Carol could be the queen of the tournament, everybody was quiet, waiting for somebody else to speak up. Finally, Duke Robertson of Underwood cleared his throat.

"Sire, this woman is a scullery maid. It would dishonour the noble ladies if she is named queen of the tournament."

"I don't agree," King Arthur said. "And I'm the king."

"Yes, Sire, you are king. But you are not above the law."

"What law are you talking about?" King Arthur said.

"The laws of courtly love and chivalry," Duke Robertson declared.

"The laws of courtly love and chivalry honour all women," King Arthur said.

"But Sire--" Duke Robertson said, "according to tradition, the queen must be the lady whose knight wins the tournament!"

King Arthur looked around. Everybody there was nodding in agreement.

The king didn't know what to do. He would either have to break the tradition, or break his word to Carol.

"I have the answer," one of the knights said. "I will be Lady Carol's knight, and fight for her honour in the tournament."

"Carol is no lady -- she is a commoner!" Duke Robertson protested.

"I can fix that," King Arthur said. "I will make her a countess, and give her an estate."

He turned to Carol. "Do you have a favour you can give your knight to wear to the tournament?"

Carol took the green ribbon from her hair and held it out. The knight knelt on one knee and took it for her. "I will do my utmost for your sake, my lady."

Everyone applauded.

"Will you join me at my birthday feast?" King Arthur asked Carol.

Carol courtsied. "I would like that very much, your majesty. Thank you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home