Thursday, December 15, 2005

Tale #47 -- Ben's Wish

It was three-thirty on Friday afternoon. The children at the school got their things together. Some of them got on buses. The ones who lived less than two kilometers from the school had to get home some other way. Ben walked home with Charles. Charles had invited Ben to his place for supper and a sleep-over.

"I really enjoyed that magazine Spellbound," Ben said. "Thanks for lending it to me."

"No problem," Charles said. "I know you enjoy reading stories. When you've finished with that issue, you can borrow another one if you like."

"Great!" Ben said. They walked for a while. Then Ben asked, "If a genie promised you three wishes, what would you ask for?"

Charles shrugged. "I don't know. A better video game system, maybe. Ours is getting obsolete. Or maybe a four-wheeler. I'd like to learn how to drive one."

"I would wish for my Grandma Lena to come back," Ben said.

Charles stopped walking and looked at Ben. "Your grandmother? She's dead, isn't she?"

"Yes," Ben said. "I miss her. She came to live with us when I was born, and took care of me while Mom was at work. Then, one day, she went to the hospital and didn't come back."

Charles started walking again. Ben walked beside him. "I was just a little kid then," Ben said. "I didn't understand what happened to her. I thought she was mad at me."

"I don't think people come back from the dead," Charles said.

"Jesus did," Ben said. "They talk about it at church all the time."

"But he didn't stay long," Charles said. "It was more like a demonstration. Then he took off, and people had to get along on their own."

"A few days is better than nothing," Ben said.

"I guess so," Charles said. "But it isn't easy to say good-bye. When Dad comes to get me, I'm really happy, but I always feel crabby for a couple of days after he brings me home."

"Do you wish your parents would get back together?" Ben said.

"Yes and no," Charles said. "I don't want to talk about it."

The two boys walked in silence until they arrived at Charles' place. As they were walking up to the back door, Ben said, "I just thought of another good wish."

"What's that?" Charles said.

"I wish Dancing Bear would wake up and come into town," Ben said. "I really miss her."

"That's a good wish," Charles said. "It's bound to come true sooner or later."

"I don't know," Ben said. "What if she forgets me? What if she has to move somewhere else? What if she doesn't wake up?"

"Don't worry about that bear," Charles said. "She'll be here. She's magic."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home