Thursday, December 29, 2005

Tale # 33 -- Reunion

"The cats look great," David McDougall said to Ben. "Thank you for taking such good care of them." He gave Ben three twenty-dollar bills.

"Eleven days at five dollars a day is fifty-five dollars," Ben said. "I'll give you your change later."

"Keep the change," David McDougall said. "You earned it." He picked up a book that was lying on the coffee table. "Here -- I bought this for you in Ottawa," he said. "I didn't have time to wrap it."

"A book of folk tales!" Ben said. "Thanks a lot!"

"You're welcome," David McDougall said.

"I have a present for you too," Ben said. He held out a paperback copy of The Runaway Jury.

"I already have that book," David McDougall said. "I'm planning to finish it tonight."

"You used to have a copy of this book," Ben said. "It fell on the floor and Oreo shredded it."

David McDougall glared at Oreo. Oreo glared back.

"Please don't be mad at her," Ben said. "She was just following her instincts."

"I don't know about that," David McDougall said. "I think she's trying to tell me something."

"The cats get pretty lonely here by themselves," Ben said.

"I thought cats are never lonely," David McDougall said. "They act as if they own the world."

"Everybody gets lonely sooner or later," Ben said. He held out the book.

David McDougall smiled when he took it. "You are smarter than the average kid," he said to Ben, "and thoughtful as well."

David McDougall walked to the door with Ben and watched him put on his coat and boots.

"Good-bye," Ben said. "Happy New Year!"

"Good-bye," David McDougall said. "Thanks for the book."

"Can I ask you a personal question?" Ben asked.

"You can ask," David McDougall said. "But I won't promise to answer."

"What happened to Mrs. McDougall?" Ben asked.

Ben held his breath. Would Mr. McDougall be angry with him?

"She died a long time ago," David McDougall said in a normal tone of voice. "She had cancer."

"Oh! I'm sorry to hear that," Ben said softly. He went out and closed the door behind him.

David McDougall went back into the living room and sat down in his chair. He stared at the TV without turning it on. Oreo jumped onto his lap. She settled down and kept very still, even when some drops of water fell on her head.

After a few minutes, David McDougall started to pet Oreo. She rolled over on her back and purred.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home