Saturday, January 07, 2006

Tale #25 -- A Long Time Until Spring

"What's the matter with you?" Carol asked her brother Ben. "You're too quiet."

"What do you care?" Ben said. "I'm not bugging you."

"No, you're not," Carol said. "And that bugs me."

"I can't do anything right," Ben said. "You complain when I bug you, and you complain when I don't."

"Please tell me what's wrong," Carol said. "I want to help."

"I'm bored," Ben said. "Will you tell me a story?"

"You have lots of books and videos," Carol said.

"I know," Ben said. "But it's not the same."

Carol looked at her brother. "You really miss Dancing Bear, don't you?" she asked.

"Yes, I do," Ben said. He started to cry.

Carol got him some tissues. "Dancing Bear will be back," she said. "She really likes you."

Ben blew his nose. "Spring seems so far away!"

"Maybe you can make up a story to tell her when she comes back," Carol suggested.

"What would I tell a story about?" Ben said.

"Anything that interests you," Carol said.

Ben thought for a while. Then he said, "Last summer, Dorian went to a trip to Vancouver Island. He visited his grandmother in Parksville. When he got back, he told me about the Pacific Ocean. Do you think Dancing Bear would like an ocean story?"

"An ocean story sounds great!" Carol said. "Will it have a mermaid in it?"

"I'll see what I can do," Ben said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home