Saturday, January 14, 2006

Tale #18 -- David McDougall Comes Home

When David McDougall came home from Sault Ste. Marie, he was very surprised. There was a boy sitting in his favourite chair. There were two girls on the love seat, and another girl on the couch. There was another boy sitting on the floor.

"Who are all these people?" David McDougall asked.

"They are my friends," Dancing Bear said. "They wanted to hear a story."

"Get them out of here!" David McDougall said. "I'm tired. I want to sit in my special chair and watch TV."

"Okay, children," Dancing Bear said. "Story time is over."

The children got up and started putting on their shoes.

"Mr. McDougall," Carol said, "You have a beautiful house. Thank you for letting us visit."

David McDougall did not answer. He plopped himself down on his chair and pointed the remote at the TV.

The other children said thank you as well. David McDougall turned the volume on the television higher.

"I think Mr. McDougall wants to be alone," Dancing Bear said. "I'll walk you home."

Dancing Bear was gone until after dark. When she returned to 906 Alexandra Street, David McDougall was rested and feeling a little better.

"I'm sorry I was so crabby," he said.

"I didn't realize you don't like children," Dancing Bear said.

"I don't mind children," David McDougall said, "but I'm not used to them. You are welcome to stay here as long as you like, but please don't invite any children into the house."

"All right," Dancing Bear said. "This is your home, so you can decide who comes in." She waited a few more minutes, until some commercials came on. Then she said, "Children are delightful creatures. You might get to like them if you give them a chance."

David McDougall finished watching the program on TV. Then he said, "Dancing Bear?"

"Yes?" Dancing Bear answered.

"One or two children at a time would be all right," David McDougall said. "But not a whole bunch of them."

Dancing Bear smiled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home