Thursday, January 26, 2006

Tale #6: Brush me!

Dancing Bear followed David McDougall into the living room. The walls were a lovely blue colour, and the floor had light brown carpet on it.

"This is much nicer than my cave," Dancing Bear said.

"Thank you," David McDougall said. "Have a seat. That rocking chair is comfortable. Would you like some coffee? Or maybe some hot chocolate?"

Dancing Bear's mouth watered. "Some hot chocolate would be nice."

"I'll put on the kettle," David McDougall said. He went through the dining room into the kitchen.

Dancing Bear sat down in the rocking chair and started to rock. It creaked loudly. "Oh dear," she said. "I hope it can hold my weight."

Oreo appeared from the direction of the kitchen and jumped onto the footstool in front of Dancing Bear. "I've had my snack," Oreo said, licking her paw and wiping it over her face. "Now it's time to brush me."

David McDougall came back and sat down in his big green and blue chair. "It will take a few minutes for the water to heat up," he said.

"Brush me NOW! Please!!" Oreo said loudly.

Dancing Bear looked around, but she didn't see a brush. "Doug -- Oreo wants to be brushed," she said. "Can you tell me where her brush is?"

David McDougall handed her a soft plastic brush shaped like a cat. As soon as Dancing Bear touched Oreo, she started to purr. She lay down on her side and moaned, "More! More!"

"She really likes being brushed, doesn't she?" Dancing Bear said. She kept brushing and brushing until David McDougall brought her a big pottery mug of hot chocolate.

"More! More!" Oreo insisted.

"You'll have to wait a while," Dancing Bear said. "I'm on my break now."

"Can you understand what Oreo is saying?" David McDougall asked.

"Of course," Dancing Bear said. "I can understand most animals and some humans."

"That's interesting," David McDougall said. "How did you learn so many languages? Did you go to school?"

"No," said Dancing Bear. "It just came naturally. I wanted to speak, so I did."

"Really?" said David McDougall. "I wish I could speak more than one language."

"Why don't you?" Dancing Bear said.

"I'm a busy man," David McDougall said. "It's hard for me to find time to go to class."

"I could teach you some cat language," Dancing Bear said.

"That's a great idea!" Oreo said. "If he understands cat language, it will be easier for me to tell him what I want."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home