Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Tale #7: Voulez-vous acheter des oranges?

The front door bell rang. David McDougall went to answer it.

"I guess another important person has arrived," Dancing Bear said, putting down her hot chocolate. "I wonder who it is."

"Never mind," Oreo said. "Just brush me!"

"I'm still on my break," Dancing Bear said.

Two teen-aged girls were at the door. "Voulez-vous acheter des oranges?" they asked.

"Just a moment," Doug said. He called to Dancing Bear, "Do you know any French? I need help."

Dancing Bear got up and went to the door to talk to the girls. "They are from the high school," she explained to Doug. "They are selling oranges and grapefruit to raise funds for the Pastoral Committee. Twenty-five dollars for a small box, or forty dollars for a large one. As soon as they are picked, they will be sent directly from Florida by truck. They will be fresh and juicy."

"All right," said Doug. "I'll take a small box of oranges and a small box of grapefruit. Do I have to pay for them right away?"

"No," said Dancing Bear. "They will phone you when the fruit arrives. You can pay for it when you pick it up at the school."

Dancing Bear helped the girls fill out the order form in English. They were very happy to get an order for two boxes.

"Thank you for your help," David McDougall said after the girls had left.

"No problem," Dancing Bear said. "Where would you like me to put your receipt?"

"Just stick it on the fridge with a magnet," David McDougall said. "That way I won't lose it."

Dancing Bear went into the kitchen. It was bright green, like the forest in the early spring time. The fridge was covered with all kinds of notes.

"There is no room on the fridge," Dancing Bear called. "I don't know what to do."

David McDougall came into the kitchen. "Sorry," he said. He took down three pieces of paper and jammed them in his pants pocket. "Now you have room."

"Are those pieces of paper garbage?" Dancing Bear said.

"Yes," David MrDougall said. "I don't need them any more."

"Give them to me," Dancing Bear said. "I'll put them in the garbage. If you put your pants in the washing machine with paper in the pocket, it will be a big mess."
"You're right," David McDougall said. He took the papers out of his pocket and handed them to Dancing Bear, along with a couple of candy wrappers and some used tissues. "Thank you."

Dancing Bear put everything into the garbage, washed her hands in the bathroom, and went back to her chair to finish her hot chocolate.

"You are very helpful," David McDougall said. "I was wondering if you would stay for a couple of days. I am going away to a conference in Sault Ste Marie, and I know the cats don't like being left alone."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home